DMEXCO survey on retail media in 2023
Retail media is booming. We asked experts and top media agencies what role they think retail media will play in 2023.
Retail media in 2023: What’s the current mood?
DMEXCO 2022 already highlighted that retail media is one of the hottest marketing topics in the industry right now. With the e-commerce trend still going strong, marketing in online stores and other marketplaces is becoming one of the most significant business models to have emerged for many brands in recent years.
But what potential does retail media have for 2023 and – more importantly – beyond? We asked retail media experts and representatives from Germany’s top seven media agencies precisely that, among other questions.
Companies are wanting to invest
The ongoing growth of retail media is currently overshadowing all other areas of marketing. The latest forecasts for retail media clearly reflect the enormous potential it offers for brand managers. For example, the trend monitor published by the Specialist Group of Online Media Agencies (FOMA), which is part of the German Association for the Digital Economy (BVDW), expects it to grow by a further 27 percent in Germany alone in 2023. This upward trend is showing no signs of abating.
IAB Europe predicts that sales on the European market will grow from almost 10 billion euros in 2022 to 25 billion in 2026.
Retail media still uncharted territory for many advertisers in 2023
The majority of companies have recognized the importance of retail media as a marketing channel, but a lack of experience is holding them back. Few marketers have the know-how and skills to successfully integrate retail media into their advertising campaigns.
That’s where advertisers can benefit from media agencies, as they have a wealth of experience in cross-platform marketing and understand the relevant target group.
DMEXCO survey: experts and media agencies share their thoughts on retail media
Despite revealing huge opportunities, retail media also presents significant challenges.
For that reason, we conducted a survey from mid-March to mid-April, where we asked experts and representatives from seven top media agencies in Germany to share their insights on the topic of retail media:
- Anna Sibbing, Head of E-Commerce at Havas Media Germany
- Moritz Hoffmann, Managing Director Retail Media of pilot and chair of the BVDW’s Retail Media Circle
- Carat Deutschland’s Ron Warncke (Managing Partner) and Babak Ravanbakhsh (Senior Digital Partner)
- Patricia Grundmann, Vice President Retail Media and Managing Director at OBI and chair of the BVDW’s Retail Media Circle
- Mira London, Head of E-Commerce at GroupM
- Laurence Phillips, Consulting Lead Commerce & Performance at Publicis Groupe Germany
- Florian Berger, General Manager Performance Marketing at Mediaplus Group
- Uwe Roschmann, Managing Director of Omnicom Media Group Germany
How will retail media shape the future? What challenges need to be overcome? And what should advertisers be aware of when it comes to retail media marketing? Our expert interviewees deliver detailed and enlightening answers to these questions. Make sure you don’t miss out – download the free survey now.